Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Reason Why We Have Flag Ceremony by: Ronilo Bonito


It's almost 7:05, I need to hurry since they were already doing' the line formation.The sun is shining brightly today and the blue sky is blemish free.
"Extend your arms side- ward" ordered the commandant.I felt the adrenaline rush all over me.I stand erect,right hands at my left chest,and  sing at the top of my voice the "Lupang Hinirang " while the national emblem sways flawlessly up in the air.
We do this flag ceremony all through out the school year.it's a practice in Philippines and I already memorized every single details of this routine.It's been already part of my miserable ,complicated and wonderful life as Bonito Gwapito of my school,NDSCP.Actually, i asked my self why do we need to do this all over again,aren't the teachers get sicken tired of it? if you are going to asked me? Nuh! I would tell you I felt I'm dying and sicken BORED!!!there are many times during morning assembly, my beauty teacher suddenly turned into a beastly dragon,shooting me hot and spicy words because I played every flag ceremony.Ahehehehe I just can't help chatting with my classmate.Unnecessary action is prohibited in the morning assembly.
Let's take it to a serious matter.Why Flag ceremony is always present for every event and gathering in Philippines? Sit down and relax because i will tell you why.

General Emilio Aguinaldo is our first president right? He is also the leader of the Philippine Revolution against Spaniards.Now do you know who is Julian Felipe? He was the one who composed the Philippine Liberty Music as ordered by Aguinaldo.Marcha Magdalo (Magdalo March) for piano.On june 12,1898,Philippine independence was proclaimed at the Aguinaldo's mansion in Cavite.The Philippine flag triumphantly rose accompanied by the Marcha Magdalo Hymn.
That was very triumphant right/now what do you think happened after a year? well,there is this talented poet named Jose Palma.He wrote a poem entitled "Filipinas"which became the lyrics of our national anthem,"Himno Nacional Filipino".

Now have you ever tried singing Lupang Hinirang in English? dont you know that it was sung in english for many years? It was educator Camilo Osias who made teh english version. Since we are filipinoes,Ildefonso santos and Cirio Panganiban made the tagalog version of it.

right now we sung the tagalog version because in 1957,jose panganiban ,head of the institutte of National language issued that tagalog text of national anthem anthem will be used.

oh yeah,i think that is enough.I hope you learn already why we are doing this.i have to be ready for the final wave.My teacher is coming ,bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment